Modals

 


What are modal verbs?


Modals (also called modal verbs, modal auxiliary verbs, modal auxiliaries) are distinct verbs that act unevenly in English. They are different from ordinary verbs like "practice, work, visit" They provide further knowledge about the purpose of the principal verb that supports it. They have a large variety of informative roles.


Some features of modal verbs are:


  • They never alter their form. You can't add "s", "ed", "ing"
  • An infinitive always follows them without "to" (e.i. the bare infinitive.)
  • They are used to show modality provides preachers to show belief, circumstance, willingness, obligation, necessity, ability.

Use of modal verbs:


Modal verbs are used to represent functions such as:


  1. Permission
  2. Ability
  3. Obligation
  4. Prohibition
  5. Lack of necessity
  6. Advice
  7. possibility
  8. probability

Examples of modal verbs

  • I can swim.
  • Can I use your laptop, please?
  • Excuse me, could I just say something?
  • I need not buy clothes. There are many clothes in my closet.

Comments

Popular Posts